Residents across the UAE received an emergency warning on Tuesday evening after authorities detected a potential missile threat, marking the country’s first such alert since July 12.
The warning reached residents’ mobile phones at around 6:52pm, advising them to move to a safe location and follow official instructions. The alert was lifted about 10 minutes later after authorities confirmed that the situation was safe.
The UAE Ministry of Defence later said its air defence forces had detected two ballistic missiles launched from Iran towards the country.
According to the ministry, one missile fell outside the UAE’s territorial waters, while the second fell within the country’s territorial waters. Authorities later assessed that both missiles were targeting maritime navigation before falling into the sea.
First UAE emergency alert in 37 days
Tuesday’s warning came 37 days after the previous emergency alert issued on July 12. Authorities have previously said precautionary alerts can be issued proactively when a potential threat is being assessed, even when the likelihood of an impact is considered low.
Residents had also received an emergency warning on June 26, but officials later confirmed that alert was caused by a technical issue rather than a security incident.
The latest alert, however, followed an actual missile threat detected by UAE defence systems.
Authorities also clarified that sounds heard by residents during the incident were linked to air defence operations.
Alert comes as US-Iran tensions intensify
The incident occurred just one day after a 14-point memorandum of understanding between the United States and Iran expired on August 17.
The temporary framework had provided a basis for managing tensions and negotiations between Washington and Tehran. Its expiry has added uncertainty to diplomatic efforts aimed at containing the conflict.
US President Donald Trump said on Tuesday that there were no talks with Iran and none were scheduled. He also shared a map of the Strait of Hormuz, a major flashpoint in the conflict, while tensions over control and access to the strategic waterway continued.
UAE halts trade with Iran
The missile threat was followed by a major economic decision from the UAE.
The UAE announced that it would suspend all trade, commercial exchanges and financial transactions with Iran until further notice. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs said the measure was taken in response to regional escalation that was affecting regional and international peace and security.
Maritime security has also become an increasing concern. UAE-linked energy interests have faced attacks during the conflict, with ADNOC reporting that 18 of its vessels had been attacked since the war began.
The latest developments highlight the growing security and economic pressures facing the UAE as the wider regional conflict continues.
Dubai Herald will continue to monitor UAE emergency alerts, regional security developments and their impact on residents, businesses and travel.
SEO Title: UAE Emergency Alert After Iranian Missile Threat
Slug: uae-emergency-alert-iranian-missile-threat
Meta Description
SEO Tags:



































